Recipe - Lemon Bars
Warmer weather is just around the corner! This lemon bar recipe from NEP DPG Secretary Leia Flure is perfect for potlucks and springtime celebrations.
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice (approximate yield from 1 large lemon)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
1. To prepare crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8x8" baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Stir flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in butter and 1 teaspoon lemon zest until crumbly. Press the mixture down evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Bake the crust until it has puffed up slightly, about 15 minutes.
3. While crust is baking, prepare filling. Whisk sugar, 2 teaspoons lemon zest, lemon juice, eggs, and flour in a medium bowl until smooth. When crust has finished baking, pour the filling mixture evenly over the hot crust.
4. Return the pan to the oven and bake until set, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 1 hour, then refrigerate for at least another hour before serving.
5. To serve, cut into squares or triangles with a lightly oiled knife. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.
Nutrition Facts (1/16 recipe): Calories 105, Total Fat 4g (Saturated 2g), Cholesterol 34mg, Sodium 19mg, Total Carbohydrate 17, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 2g, Vitamin A 2% DV, Vitamin C 2% DV, Calcium 0% DV, Iron 2% DV