Recipe - Butternut Squash Soup
Enjoy this classic recipe shared by NEP DPG member Jessica Fey!
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium-large butternut squash (approx. 3.5 lbs), halved and seeded
- 3 tbsp. olive oil or butter
- 2 large leeks (white part only), thoroughly cleaned and chopped
- 4 tsp. minced, peeled ginger
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 ½ tsp. salt (or to taste)
- Cilantro, parsley, or croutons (as garnish)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 °F.
2. Place butternut squash cut side down on an oiled baking sheet.
3. Bake for an hour or until the squash can easily be pierced with a fork.
4. Let cool, then scoop the pulp from the squash skin and discard the skin.
5. Add olive oil or butter in pot over medium-low heat.
6. Add leeks and ginger. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring, until tender but not browned.
7. Stir in the squash along with the chicken or vegetable stock.
8. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring and breaking up the squash with a spoon.
9. Puree until smooth with an immersion blender, food processor, or heavy-duty Blender (e.g. Vitamix, Ninja)
10. Add salt (to taste).
11. Heat through. Ladle into warmed bowls.
12. Garnish with cilantro, parsley, or croutons.
Pro tip: Save your squash seeds to use as garnish. Wash and rinse them. Add 1 ½ tsp olive oil and bake them along with squash. Sprinkle on soup before serving.
Recipe from The Joy of Cooking